Old October 3rd 05, 08:49 PM
Jay Beattie

Default French bike - ream the steerer or sand the stem?

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

E Willson wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Hank Wirtz wrote:

Just wondering...Who won the lawsuit?

The rider that was injured, the loser was the bike shop that

did the
reaming...about 15 years ago.

Interesting. And we know that, 15 years later, it was the
reaming as opposed to over-insertion of the quill, butt quality,
overheating, etc., etc., that caused the failure? I reamed the
steerer on my PX-10 about a million years ago and lived to tell
about it. I was young and don't know if it was the right thing
to do, but even then I would have needed something more than "a
person reamed his steerer 15 years ago and it broke" to form an
opinion. My last steel racing frame broke three times in a 25
year period Just Riding Along.

I have sanded quills to fit into a French steerer, and it sucks
and mars the stem. Personally, I would dump the entire bike and
go buy something with standard dimensions. Anything to avoid the
non-standard BB, derailleur hanger thread, tube diameter,
seatpost size and all the fussy stuff that came original on my
'69 PX-10. I hated French bikes. Sorry Sheldon. -- Jay Beattie.