Old October 4th 05, 05:06 AM
Hank Wirtz

Default French bike - ream the steerer or sand the stem?

"philcycles" wrote in
oups.com:

Hank Wirtz wrote:

It's a PX-10 and I'm about to have it repainted (Andrew Muzi sold me
old decals). I've already bought a new A-9 in French threading from
Harris, but I'm starting to wonder if the new steerer might be the
better option.

Thanks all for the suggestions (and sorry for those who I sniped at
who said a stem shouldn't be sanded - I think you're wrong, but hey -
I asked).

-HW

FYI, I'm a framebuilder, Hank. You will probably have stack height
problems with an A9 headset. I'd check it first. But if you're going
through Andrew you're in good hands.
Phil Brown

I did, and I'm OK. The old Stronglight Competition was pretty tall to begin
with, and I now have an extra 3mm spacer in the place of the centerpull
cable hanger I'm no longer using.

And I only bought the decals from Andrew. He's in Wisconsin and I'm in
Washington. I'm actually talking with Dan Towle at R&E Cycles in Seattle,
who Andrew recommended. I sent him an email today to ask about the steerer
tube replacement, so I may wind up throwing that A-9 up on ebay.