Old November 9th 15, 11:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

Default AG: Fuel: some assembly required.

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 19:44:54 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2015 12:18:42 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I mix a normal bicycle bottle full of "beverage" and freeze the entire
bottle and contents over night. In 30 - 31 (C) weather it will last
for about 4 hours before it gets warm.

One summer I froze water in bottles, used it to keep my cooler cold,
and when I'd emptied both bike bottles, began to pour a quarter bottle
of ice water at a time. This was very good for hydration, because I
was strongly motivated to drink it before it got warm.

But toward the end of one ride, I was frantically trying to get the
ice to thaw faster.

It's odd: when I lived in upstate New York, I always carried food,
but was confident of being able to re-fill my bottles. In Indiana, I
usually eat in restaurants, but always carry water.

Hrrm. I remember stopping in the racquet club on a very hot day with
four bottles in my arms and remarking that I'd re-filled them three
(or was it four) times and yet was in no particular hurry to get to
the ladies' locker room. Four bottles is about what I carry now -- my
rides are shorter!

A perfectly-good puzzle ruined by a fact.

Riding in Bangkok one can get along perfectly well without either food
or water as nearly every gasoline pump has a 7-11 or another shop as
part of the complex. I don't usually use them as I prefer to carry my
own supplies and stop where there is a shady area to rest, but it is
nice to know that they are there in an emergency.

In other areas it isn't as handy as the service stations are further
apart and "country gas stations" may not have a 7-11.
--
cheers,

John B.