Old July 29th 17, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default New bike for Jay

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5:47:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What is a gravel bike n why in Portland ?

if I search 'gravel bikes' am I locating that type bike you want or bought...the linked bike is the bike bought for commuting ?

Low bottom bracket, fender clearance and disc brakes. Gravel bikes are perfect commuters. The geometry is just like a 1975 touring bike with a longer head tube. Get an aluminum or steel one if you want fenders. Plus, we have lots of gravel. Here's some happy campers on gravel bikes do a ride I did a few weeks ago -- on my Roubaix. http://www.pathlesspedaled.com/2015/...ned-beef-hash/ Alex Barr Road is really steep. It doesn't show in those pictures. I also didn't take the train to get out of town. I took a MUP and some roads.

I really got the bike because it was practically half price, and I always wanted one. I have dreams of more serious gravel riding. I've got so many spare parts now that I might build an beater commuter for the winter. Maybe steel!

-- Jay Beattie.