Old September 24th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

Default Campy hubs and parts between 2003 Proton and 2002 Eurus parts

I have a Eurus I put in service in the late summer of 2002, and
sometime before the 3 year warranty ran out, I could not find a local
dealer to repair the bearings that seemed to have worn out
prematurely. I also got a 2003 Proton (I think they are the same hub
except for the lighter cassette carrier in the Eurus, which are
considered “Record Class” hubs. From all of the tech documents I could
find, the hubs seem to be identical exceot for materials upgrades, as
in the cassette carrier.

So the question is whether I can borrow parts from my Proton hub, or
buy a hub from ebay to get the parts without having to pay $10,000 by
the time I finish paying for the individual components. Some time back
in 2004 I think, there was a store with a huge warehouse and online
ordering forms for just about every part you can think of. When it got
down to identifying the parts I needed, the warehouse was lost to a
huge fire and I am not even sureI remember which place had this
happen. It might have been Branford, but anyway I lost track of the
“project” and forgot about it for a while. I would like to get the
wheel back in use because the Campy wheels (all of mine anyway).

So the question in general is which parts are compatible with others?
Can I buy a certain model from a certain era, or even now that will
give me an entire hub for spare parts?

I love the G3 wheels. They are the best design I have ever used in
aluminum rims. I have not tried any of the models with aluminum
spokes, but I suspect unless I here anything in non-trivial negative
facts I would like to buy a set of one of the several “ultimate”
models with the aluminum spokes. The only thing I do not care for is
the reduced depth for the front, but I am so gentle on front wheels
that I have more spares than I can count. I think I have 5 wheels in
between 30 to 41mm aluminum rims and not a single one has every been
out of true or needed any maintenance at all.

What advice can I hear that will help me to put the wheel back in
service without paying more for parts than an entire new hub?

TIA