Old July 28th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Cycling in Toronto

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 4:35:23 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
On 27/07/2016 11:31 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 8:10:39 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
On 27/07/2016 10:06 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 5:04:04 AM UTC-7, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
An interesting study has made the news. Street car tracks are a factor.
http://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral...889-016-3242-3

The methodology looks to be humanities-based and less than scientific.

Okay, let the RBT critique of the study begin!
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

I don't think it's terribly controversial. https://farm1.staticflickr..com/64/1...39a79094fb.jpg

My last crash was on lightly snow covered streetcar tracks. I saw them; I slowed; I squared up to the turn in the tracks . . . and went down. Fwooop, whap. Right on my hip. I was on lugged, studded tires, and that may have lessened my traction, but who knows. The streetcar tracks and light rail tracks through downtown PDX (they're everywhere) are certainly a lot better than standard railroad tracks in terms of wheel trapping, but during the winter/spring/fall -- well, whenever it rains (could be summer), I know they are a serious slip hazard.

Slippery is hard to deal with. I went down Saturday when the guy in
front of me fell around a turn. His rear wheel slipped on the painted
line that was a bit wet. In one of those time slows down things, I
remember thinking - "just like Froome" as I was trying to navigate
around him. Almost made it too but he spun a bit further than I could
avoid. No damage except some road rash on my hip and a cracked helmet..

On a side note, how is it that Assos bibs can hold up even when I get a
road rash? It was funny, I was more concerned with ripping them than
the bruise I was going to get. Last time that happened the bibs were
trashed.

You should get a Lloyds policy for your Assos bibs -- or else create a self-insurance reserve. Every time you ride, put a dollar in a jar, and a year later, you'll have enough to cover a new pair if something goes wrong -- assuming inflation stays low. I wonder if the decline of the Euro has made them any cheaper.

Maybe $2 a ride...
Seriously, they held up better than my skin.

Your skin isn't plastic.

Assos must be the most expensive plastic that hasn't yet made a Moon landing.

Andre Jute
....who wears cotton