Old July 25th 05, 04:00 PM
David Damerell

Default How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

Quoting Mark Hickey :
David Damerell wrote:
You cannot have more braking than that, so the theoretical brake "power"
(which tandems find out, with surprising results) is quite irrelevant.

An interesting (to me, at least...) data point is that I designed my
new tandem around regular road caliper brakes, never having been
really happy with the performance of canti brakes on my previous
tandem.

Certainly plain ordinary calipers can work just fine, but did you try
fiddling with the straddle cable? I've got it as high as will just permit
me to bottom out the lever (higher, and you're just getting lower
mechanical advantage; lower, and the input force is lower, as I'm sure you
know) with maximum grip, and the front brake is certainly good enough to
produce an alarming DOING sensation from the front fork...

[The back brake's a Suntour self-energiser, so I've no idea how well a
conventional canti works on a tandem.]
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.