Old August 9th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

Default The Revolution Will Not be Motorized

"A Muzi" wrote in message
donquijote1954 who? wrote:
On Aug 4, 2:15 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:
donquijote1954 who? wrote:
OK, with such a motivation (warning the novices against you), I ask
you (I hope there are many witnesses out there), WHAT THE HELL IS THE
SOLUTION, so we can go from 1% to, say, 30% ridership?...
Google "Hubbert's Peak.
Oil production peak... It's gonna be fun to be alive and watch the
couch potatos finally pedalling when things finally start going down
hill (it'll be up hill for them though). I don't see much prevention
in practice, particularly when bicycles are mostly banned from the
dangerous roads --banned by fear, that is.

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" wrote
How about stopping all the fear-mongering about how dangerous cycling is
and the related promotion of h*lm*ts and segregated facilities? Chicken
Little was wrong about the sky falling, and you are wrong about the true
danger of cycling.

Edward Dolan wrote:
Cycling on highways with lots of traffic and no shoulders is extremely
dangerous. Even an idiot knows that much.

Ed, it hasn't killed me yet- even though most of my cohort is long gone
from other causes. Want an aderenalin buzz? Follow me between buses in the
morning, brushing elbows on both sides. Danger? Bah! Sitting home bitching
will kill you sooner.

It is just a matter of time and you will die like a dog on the road that you
are.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka