Old July 21st 04, 09:54 AM
blah

Default Who is stronger

"Bill benson" wrote in message ...
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

Read in a book "Run Like You Stole Something", by some guys who have a
sports science radio show on Triple R in Melbourne (ripper of a show;
funny while being very stat and science driven: 9am each Saturady
102.7fm), that TdF riders are pushing the limits of endurance for
_all_species_ (animal kingdom, anyway), at least for those three weeks
in July. I'm sure I'm making a mess of their meticulous reporting of
the study they're quoting (can't find my copy at the mo'), but they
were going into the caloric expenditure over the three weeks, and
comparing it to the boundaries of other species in terms of their
endurance abilities. As I said, TdF riders were pushing these
boundaries, so I figure (and seem to remember) they were saying that
as far as sports go, TdF is the toughest as far as long term
endurance. Read it for yourself if you want to settle a bet (all
referenced).

BUT - they certainly did say that the guys were able to push
themselves so far because of the supported nature of cycling versus
the high impact nature of, say, marathon running which tends to ruin
soft tissues in things like knees.

So.. that's my 2cw (or somebody elses, crappily related to you)
Cheers.