Old July 26th 08, 09:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Best grease for chains/sprockets

wrote:
I've noticed many of my bikes have badly worn sprockets. I've oiled
them and cleaned them as I should, but the wear is there. Has anyone
tried chainsaw chain oil on a bike chain?

Chainsaw oil is a good (and relatively inexpensive) choice, since it has
a solvent fraction that allows penetration between the pins and rollers,
and then evaporates, leaving the heavier lubricant fraction in place.

Some relevant reading material:
http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html and
http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.