Old March 31st 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Tensiometer curiosity

In article ,

On 2007-03-31, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Mar 31, 7:28 am, richard wrote:
Having yet to build my first wheel, I have a question about
tensiometers.

Is the absolute measure of (whatever - isn't it really a distance
deflection rather than a force, although threads tend to indicate
that it reads in force) that critical? OR, is the only thing
critical its ability to give the same reading on the same spoke
(and spokes with the same tension) consistantly?

In other words, is "each spoke tightened to so many Kg" as
important as knowing all spokes are tensioned equally?

IMO, knowing that spoke tension is consistent from spoke to spoke
(i.e., "relative" spoke tension) is more critical than knowing the
"absolute" spoke tension to a really great degree of accuracy (IOW,
95Kgf v. 105Kgf is not a big deal).

Well, most tensiometers don't give you a flawless absolute measurement
for reasons that have been discussed in other threads. They do give you
a ballpark measurement that is IMHO close enough to be getting on with.
There are techniques for finding the highest tension the rim can
withstand to maximize the load the wheel can carry, but most people
probably don't need to have their wheels quite that tight since they
don't load the wheel that heavily.

This is something I've never understood. I don't bother with a
tensiometer myself, but surely if the spoke tensions aren't all about
the same then the wheel will be out of true? And if the only way to
get it true is with uneven tensions (if for example the rim isn't
round and flat in the first place), then you probably need uneven
tension since you will obviously require the wheel to be true.

Take wheels at random and pluck them and you will often find that there
are some spokes that are much tighter than others. That's because the
lateral pull of spokes affects not on the part of the rim the spokes are
connected to but also a few inches to either side. This is because of
the lateral rigidity of the rim. This scenario can potentially result
in the looser spoke going slack under load and the nipple backing off,
which can eventually put the wheel out of true.