Old July 28th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Default TdF and recumbents

Clive George wrote:
"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

Andy Wilkinson's UK End-toEnd record is a good case for recumebnts. When
he set the record on a recumbent he beat the existing record held by...
himself, on an upright!

in other words, he had, if anything, considerably more upright experience
yet still posted a better time on the 'bent.

Dare I mention that it was faired? Was the upright?

It's quite a valid point, but there again one point about a
Windcheetah is it's a lot better as a platform for mounting a
fairing on than an upright racer. Which is why the velomobile
industry is based on recumbent trikes, not upright bikes.

The faired Moulton that holds an HPV sprint record would be
completely impractical to ride for 40+ hours, unless you didn't
want to stand up for about a month afterwards or actually see where
you going for quite a lot of the time!

In IHPVA competition there is nothing stopping faired uprights
taking part in races, yet with few exceptions (like that sprinting
Moulton) the designers stick to 'bents. I would suggest they do
that as it works better.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK