Old July 28th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Default TdF and recumbents

Peter Clinch wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:

[cuuuuut]

By the way, I can already see the argument against using the same
rider on both a recumbent and an upright. It will be argued that the
rider is not as proficient on one as on the other. Anyway, I am not
that fussy. I would just

I think that might be easily solveable. Imagien
having a professional racing bike rider. Possible
even a team. You let them have a race on a regular
diamond frame bike where you monitor their power
output.

Then you give them recumbent bikes, possible let
them train and get used to recumbents. Then you
let them race on the same route as they did with
the DF, while monitoring their power output.

You might even do this on different routes of
different length.

If the recumbent bike style wins, then i think you
can conclude that arguments like the rider not being
as proficient on one bike as the other are irrelevant.

Andy Wilkinson's UK End-toEnd record is a good case for recumebnts.
When he set the record on a recumbent he beat the existing record held
by... himself, on an upright!

in other words, he had, if anything, considerably more upright
experience yet still posted a better time on the 'bent.

Good, i think we can then say that we can not argue that
the rider is not as proficient on one as on the other.

Was his bike a faired recumbent?

JonB