Old June 6th 05, 01:15 PM
Paul Kopit

Default Another curiosity question

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:40:18 -0400, Tom Weaver
wrote:

While riding on Cape Cod this weekend, my co-star came up with an
interesting (to me) question: Why do the front and rear shifters work
opposite to each other? Further explanation. We both have Ultegra
integrated shifters. On the right (front), clicking the larger shifter
moves the chain to a larger ring closer to the frame. On the left
(rear), clicking the larger lever moves the chain to a larger ring that
is further from the frame.

Why don't both larger levers move the chain the same direction?

How about it takes more leverage to pull against the springs and
cables of the derailleurs than it does to release the springs? The
larger lever gives you better leverage.