Old May 12th 09, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_3_]

Default Unfair traffic lights.

On 2009-05-12, Ian Smith wrote:

The nearest set of lights to my house routinely don't detect me on my
steel-framed tourer. What happens is that I write or telephone to
complain. If I telephone, they talk some absolute ******** (I've been
told, for example, that bicycles are too light to trigger the pressure
pads under the tarmac). Whether I write or telephone, within about a
week they start detecting me, and within about two weeks after that
they stop detecting me again.

I assume that someone comes out and adjusts something to make the
detection work. Whether that has knock-on problems and they adjust it
back again two weeks later, or whether it just drifts out of
adjustment, I don't know.

What's the worst knock-on problem --- that the light will occasionally
turn green unnecessarily for a short time?