Old May 12th 09, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed[_3_]

Default Unfair traffic lights.

"thaksin" wrote in message
Colin Reed wrote:

"thaksin" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

"thaksin" wrote in message news:RggOl.16643

Okay, what you exactly said was "the Highway Code states that I can
ride through a red light legally if my bike is not picked up".

Thank you!

Nice snip. So you obviously acknowledge that your point was ********
all along then? One wonders why you made it in that case, but hey
ho...

I and several other posters have made the point about the sensors not
working and therefore the traffic lights as a whole not working so many
times that I felt it unnecessary to point this out yet again, but I
seem to have done so anyway. Hey ho.

No, we've amply demonstrated that the light is NOT faulty, i.e. it does
the job that it was designed to do perfectly well.

You've demonstrated no such thing. Even if you had demonstrated that the
lights were triggered when a car approached, this would only define them
as "car lights". As they are called "traffic lights" for a reason - that
reason being that they apply to traffic, then it is a reasonable
expectation that they work correctly for all traffic. Bicycles are
treated as traffic in the Highway Code, and so if traffic lights' sensors
do not detect them, it is reasonable to recognise them as being faulty
and thereby following the advice given in the Highway Code to proceed
through them with caution.

No, because that condition, that of regarding them as faulty, cannot be
met until the cyclist has satisfied the condition of PROVING them to be
faulty - i.e., by waiting for a sufficient period to ensure at least one
full cycle of lights. Alternatively, if he chooses not to wait that long,
he is perfectly at liberty to dismount and cross as a pedestrian.

You mean as in the earlier post in the thread when Simon wrote
"If the other lights go through the whole sequence without yours changing
then it can be established that yours are not sensitive enough to detect
bikes hence you are allowed to proceed with care."

That should satisfy your conditions.

Colin