Old March 20th 04, 01:56 PM
Rick Onanian

Default lacking in leg strength and stamina exercises?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:23:45 GMT, "Yuri Budilov"
wrote:
I find that I can pedal relatively well at cadence of 90-100 rpm but if I

You've found your optimal cadence. Stick with it, it works for you.

have to push a big gear then I very quickly run out of steam. I also have no

You shouldn't have to push a big gear. That's why bicycles have so
damn many gears. Don't be afraid to use them! If your bike lacks
sufficient range in it's gears (maybe it has a double crank and/or a
cassette with each gear nearly the same as the last), equip the bike
properly for you by changing the cassette and/or crank. Especially
if you feel weak, you should have a triple crank (unless you ride in
a very flat area).

stamina and have to stop for a drink every 15 min of so.....

You should be drinking constantly.

Your stamina will improve with practice. Learning to pace yourself
will give you surprising amounts of stamina; if you have to stop to
rest constantly, you're pushing too hard and going too fast. Back it
off a bit, relax, enjoy the scenery. DON'T push as hard as you can
all the time -- not nearly as hard as you can. You should really
feel relaxed or you'll get tired fast.

I have a terribly hard time of pacing myself. I feel and ride much
better if I ride with somebody else who sets a good pace. Try riding
with somebody else who is also slow but better at pacing himself.
Maybe an entry-level group ride could help.

Riding with a person or group that's too fast for you will provide
much physical pain and a hard blow to the ego and morale too. Don't
do it.

I am wondering what I can do to improve my leg muscle (quads?) strength and
general cycling stamina without ruining my knees and other parts of my body.

Ride! Bicycling is (obviously) great for exactly those purposes.

Perhaps some easy to do at-home exercises? I heard step-ups are good but I
have no idea what they are exactly....

I suppose you could ride your bike on a trainer at home...
--
Rick Onanian