Old May 29th 04, 10:35 PM
Roger Zoul

Default A not so great biking day.....(kinda long)

Dan Daniel wrote:
:: On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:26:08 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::
:::
::: Comments on how to avoid any more spills
::
:: Practice doing actual stops? Rolling and popping the cleat out is
:: almost too easy. You need to develop muscle memory for the actual
:: process- including balance and weight shifting.
::
:: Are the pedals at the absolute easiest?

Yes, at least I think they are. I think that's what let me clip back in so
easily.

That's where I put them in
:: the beginning. Loosen the tension screw click by click until there
:: are no
:: more clicks, then back in to the first click.

Okay...

::
::: and what to do with a popped spoke
::: and an untrued wheel on a ride would be much appreciated. Somehow,
::: I feel a bit unsure if myself now....damn!
:::
::
:: I'd get the wheel rebuilt first. Spokes shouldn't break in the first
:: place.

How/where does one do that and what does it entail?

The owner of the LBS (another lady, not the hot lady) told me that she
thinks I ride uphill in too high a gear, putting a lot of stress on the rear
wheel. I do generally tend to shift down as I go up a hill, but I also
follow the cadence, trying to keep it at or above 60.

Is she feeding me hooey?

::
:: And you can set up your brakes so that there is room to open them up
:: with the screw adjuster as well as the quick release. Use the screw
:: adjuster as part of the final tightening. It gives you just a bit
:: more
:: slop room if you need it. Or carry a 5mm allen wrench (or appropriate
:: wrench for your brake cable attachment system) all the time, then
:: readjust the cable when this happens to let you ride home.

Okay, great tip. I did have an allen wrench with me....btw.