Old August 11th 03, 09:21 AM
Nick Payne

Default Aligning chain on triple front chainring and 9 gear rear cluster.

According to Barnett's Manual you've done it right. See
http://rideitbent.net/pdf/barnetts_ch27.pdf.

However, for a touring bike I view the smallest chainring as something to be
used only with the 3 or 4 largest cogs at the rear, and align the two larger
chainrings as if they were a double, with the midpoint between the two large
chainrings centred on the cassette.

Nick

"Peter" wrote in message
om...
I am wondering if I have set up my drivetrain properly. I have
positioned the front triple crankset so that the middle chainring is
alligned with the 5th (that is the middle cog) on the cassette. Is
this the proper way to set up the drive train? Also I noticed today
that I get a clicking sound when in the middle chainring and smallest
cog. Any idea as to what might be causing it. Thanks in advance as
always.