Old January 17th 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default frame for pursuit and TT, tri?

On Jan 17, 10:18 am, Phil H wrote:
On Jan 12, 10:54 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

"mtb Dad" wrote in message

Anyone heard of an all purpose frame that can be used for both TT and
pursuit? I guess it would have track dropouts with a derailleur
hanger, and an adjustbale bb (Phil?) to get track and road chain
lines. Seems like a better investment for the occasional competitor,
and for loaning out to juniors, rather than specialty bikes for each.

That's a *lot* of work, converting a bike back & forth like that. But if
you really wanted to do it, you just buy a track bike and have a
derailleur hanger brazed onto the dropout. Not difficult to do at all.
The chainline is a non-issue; moving the chainring from inside to
outside will move your chainline quite a bit. You're going to have
another issue though; track bikes, pursuit and otherwise, are 120mm wide
at the rear. Road bikes are 130mm. You could change out the axle in the
track wheel and re-space it to 130mm, and re-space the the rear end, but
10mm is a *lot* with a modern, stiff rear triangle.

I'm thinking it makes more sense to pick up a used track bike for
pursuit, and adapt a conventional road bike for TT work. The pursuit and
TT bikes have less in common than you may have thought.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I thought about keeping 120 spacing and using a 5speed freewheel for
TT mode. I have a disc wheel where I could do that but my pursuit
frame doesn't have a suitable rear brake attachment.

Excuse my ignorance WRT time-trial (?) an pursuit racing, but what's
the rear brake for?