Old December 24th 03, 10:06 AM
[Not Responding]

Default At Last!!!!!!!!!!!

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:13:42 GMT, clarky44
wrote:

After moving near to Leicester and working in Kettering I figured out
that there had to be a better way than taking the carto the station. I
desperately wanted to cycle to the station but couldn't work out how to
do it with clothing etc and bike etc. So having "bit the bullet" I
decided that I was going to go for it, I have "invested" in a very cheap
tourer type bike. I went into City Bikesin Melton Road Leicester and
although I was right at the bottom of the market Dave was quite prepared
to make sure that I got the right bike for my budget (and delivered it
to home at no extra cost) I was impressed.

The bike is a "sit up and beg" type but I figured that it would be less
atttractive to nick. (which, touch wood, has been the case until now) It
also gives a great view of traffic. However, the cycle lanes of
Leicester are anything but - but I am imoresssed generally with my
route. I find the 4x4 and bus drivers the worst.

Anyway I have done the trip about 10 times and I am still trying to get
the layering right (does anyone have any ideas about the right
combination of base layers and fleeces etc at the moment?)

all depends on what sort of trip it is and how you regard it.

for short [5 miles], flat commutes i adopt the 'utility' mode and
ride with whatever i am wearing. if it is likely to rain [and this
doesn't happen as often as you may think] i just add goretex jacket,
overtrousers and overshoes. if it feels a bit chilly i just pedal
harder for two minutes and wear a hat.

if you treat your commute as a sport and change into cycling specific
clothes i'd take the 'wear as little as possible' approach; cycling
shorts + a jersey. wet legs are easier to dry than sodden longs.

I am really enjoying it - even if it does increase the journey by about
a third. I am hooked. There's no turning back now. I'm hooked

good man.