Old August 18th 19, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 23:12:55 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Beyond the obvious (tire levers, patch kit and spare tube) what have
folks found worth carrying to fend off routine trouble?

I don't do much riding any more, but have been involved in assembling
tool, junk, and part collections in the distant past. I've learned a
few lessons that might be worth mentioning.

First, I suggest you inspect the photos under "bicycling everyday
carry kit" at:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bicycle+everyday+carry+kit
If you have Pinterest.com account, also look at those photos. Lots of
good (and bad) ideas can be found in the photos.

One lesson, that I learned is that, the all in one multi tool
conglomerated tools are a PITA to use and really awkward to use. They
are all attached to a single body, when often you need to use two
tools at once. Few have long enough "handles" too apply much
leveraged force. The compromise Phillips drivers fit badly in almost
the various screws. None have anything resembling a scraper, pointed
tweezers, lock raking tools, and other useful tools not associated
with bicycling.

An example of why a multi tool is a bad idea are the common metric hex
wrenches. The loose individual wrenches have two working bits. If
you round off one end, you can try the other end. However, with one
end of the hex drive wrapped around a bolt, this option is gone. You
could try to file the rounded end flat, but that doesn't work if the
file is also attached to the multi tool.

Instead of a multi tool, I carry two 1/4 hex drive handles (straight
and right angle ratchet), and a bag with about 10 bits. Also, a set
of loose hex wrenches, knife, small file (for "adjusting" mangled
parts), LED head light, plastic tire irons, chain breaker, spare chain
links, small hammer, tweezers, small crescent wrench, patch kit, extra
rubber cement, and small channel lock pliers.

In the support department, I carry a drug store first aid kit, bottle
of alcohol, extra bandages, 3 days of the pills I take, antihistamine
(Benadryl), liquid bandage, Woundseal,
https://www.riteaid.com/shop/woundseal-powder-4-applications-0351910
some cash, towel paper, tissue paper, Boraxo hand cleaner in a pill
bottle, desiccant, rubber gloves, candy bar, spare driving/reading
glasses, illuminated magnifier, SD camera card, and such. I also
carry an envelope with copies of medical and identification documents
and an encrypted SD card with online accounts and passwords that I
might need.

Another lesson is that I use my riding tool kit mostly to help other
riders and only rarely for my own use. (The first aid part of the kit
is a different story). In most cases, the problem is something fell
of their bicycle, usually a screw. So, I carry a small plastic bag
full of common screws, brake cables, cable end caps, tire valves, tire
valve adapters, spoke nipples, brake pad nuts, a seat post clamp,
pannier screws and nuts, brake lever adjustment screws, 1/16" rubber
strip (for shim or tourniquet), etc. Basically, all the stuff that
might fall off during a ride. Also, some blue thread lock, quick
setting adhesive, small tube of grease, electrical tape, small roll of
baling wire, thread, string, spare bicycle lock key, ty-wraps, sewing
kit, USB fast charger, and various USB to phone cables.

Most of this will fit in a common bicycle seat pack. Some goes in my
pockets or panniers. Notice that I do not carry spare tire tubes.
Patching is more time consuming but good enough. I wanted to add a
USB battery bank and 12x25 pocket binoculars, but I couldn't make them
fit.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D