Old August 8th 04, 08:16 PM
Arthur Harris

Default Just switched from MTB to Road bike

wrote:
I am 50 years old and with my new bike am interested in setting a goal. I
have decided to attempt a century ride in late October. I had been riding
30-50 miles per week on the MTB. That has increased to 75 miles per week
since acquiring the new road bike. My questions a Does anybody have

any
advice on how to train for this goal?

Your weekly mileage sounds ok, but what is the most miles you've done in a
single day? On a century, a lot of the potential problems come from being on
the bike for many hours (back/neck strain, saddle discomfort, etc). You
should do at least one ride of 70-75 miles before the century. If you can do
75 miles comfortably, you should have no problem with the century.

On the big day, ride at a pace that is comfortable for you. You don't want
to push hard the first few hours and bonk at 60 miles. But you don't want to
ride at a snails pace either. Eat and drink often during the ride. Get off
the bike periodically and stretch and relax.

Depending where you live, late October can be quite cool in the morning. Be
sure you have a vest or jacket, tights, gloves, etc. And a place to stow
them as it warms up.

Good luck
Art Harris