Old January 22nd 09, 11:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Initial Report: Rohloff 500/14 Speedhub

On Jan 22, 2:01*am, Tom Ace wrote:
On Jan 21, 5:12*am, Andre Jute wrote:

I'll report back when my Rohloff has a thousand miles or so on it and
has settled in or I have the hang of adjusting it.

The cables are adjusted just like the chain: *just a bit of
slack so that it doesn't bind. *One gets the hang of that in
a couple minutes. *Other than that, there is no adjustment.

Apparently one can send the Rohloff hub away to get a softer spring
fitted to give a smoother gearchange.

If your serial number = 18100 you already have the weaker indexing
spring.

Changes from 7 to 8 and 8 to 7 require a brief lift
on the pedals or the box might drop you into 14, which could be
dangerous in traffic.

The 7-8 shift issue is not a big deal. *And if your serial number =
33000,
you get gear 11 rather than 14 in the middle of a 7-8 shift.

The info about changes in production comes fromhttp://tinyurl.com/cuawt7

Tom Ace

Thanks, Tom. Oddly, the corresponding English page seems to stop after
talking about the chain tensioner. That'll teach me always to consult
the original, and not just what the translator thought would be good
for me to know. -- AJ