Old May 19th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Fat and Skinny Tires

Today was the middle day of the Fat and Skinny Fest, parts if which
are somewhat similar to what September Century Weekend was before the
power-hungry decided that it was attracting the wrong kind of new
members to the League Against Bicycling.

I think that this is the fourteenth or fifteenth Fat and Skinny, and
the organizers have their act together. Unlike most of the festivals
in this tourist town, they did *NOT* block Park Avenue, and though I
veered off onto the Heritage Trail, there wasn't any obstruction on
that either, until I got to Canal Street -- and I'd have needed to get
off and walk anyway, because Canal Street is one way the other way.
And I wanted to see what was going on at the festival.

I think I would have gone on the historical tour if I had been able to
find out when it started in time to schedule my nap to not co-incide.
I found out by reading a poster on the registration tent on my way to
the farmers' markets.

For supper, we shared an excellent tenderloin that I bought at one of
the food booths. We got my Trek Pure ("pedal-powered wheelchair")
down so that I'd have a basket to carry the food in, and so that I
could get back before it got cold. This was a last-minute impulse,
after I'd put on walking pants incompatible with the Fugi.

Now I need to find a place to put the stuff that accumulated in the
detachable basket over the winter. I found a pencil sharpener that I
replaced months ago. Perhaps I'll put it back into the basket, along
with the dressing comb. (Knock wood: the shots that kept me off the
Pure all winter are still holding, and it's been safe to take more
shots ever since January.)

While I was preparing for my nap, I heard, on the sewing-room scanner,
an officer being dispatched to investigate a complaint of bicycles
being too far out into the roadway. The dispatcher quoted the
complaining party as saying "I could have killed one if I'd wanted
to."

This isn't our most-professional dispatcher. There was a distinct, if
subtle, "oh, what a maroon" in her tone of voice.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net