Old December 17th 16, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joerg[_2_]

Default Age and Heart Rates

On 2016-12-16 09:50,
On 2016-12-15 11:26,
wrote:

[...]

Now if after you warm up you ride well below your threshold
you can restore these reserves but it is VERY slow. One of
the reasons I stopped riding with my local group because
their idea of a warm-up was riding across the parking lot and
out onto the street.

Within a couple of minutes they would be going flat out up a
7% grade. And the guys that got to the top first would be
figiting to leave before the last arrived.

I try not to do that though sometimes I try a hill, see if I
can get up there in 2nd gear. Or maybe even 3rd. But I never
race people uphill.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Commuters don't commute far.

It depends. The commuters from here to Rancho Cordova and areas
around the industrial parks down there have 20-25mi each way. In
the morning it is a breeze but back up means about 10mi of hills,
for a net climb of 1300-1400ft. I do that once or twice a week. For
me it's errand runs or fun rides with a stop at a brewpub. No more
growlers lately because I became a "serial homebrewer". A Belgian
Tripel is brewing downstairs right now.

... They have the luxury of getting to work rapidly and then
sitting at a desk for the rest of the day. And if you eat some
protein you can limit the muscle damage.

Where I live is different. If I get a job in the area I want I
could be commuting 50 km each way. And because of the traffic I
could even be faster counting both the stop and go traffic and
the more direct path I could take as a bicyclist.

That's over 30mi each way. A lot. Not sure if I'd do that but if
not many hills probably yes.

Except for the Dumbarton Bridge it's as flat as a pastry board. But
there are 10 miles without bicycle lanes and you have to fight cars
for right of way.

That would be the turn-off for me, I would not commute by bike under
those circumstance. Actually haven't when I worked in Rancho Cordova
because of this. Especially the trip home looked dangerous and sure
enough that is where a road biker got killed. Four-lane road uphill, she
was in the right lane, car in the left lane slowed to turn, driver
behind that was soused, couldn't stop in time, saw a "free" right lane
.... BAM.

Nowadays there is a bike lane so now I am using that road.

... On the return trip without deadlines you could add
an extra 3 miles on and take some backroads.

3mi is ok. I take that any time if it affords me a ride free of 55mph
traffic zipping by with drivers looking at their cell phones and stuff.