Old September 12th 05, 03:47 PM
Servojohn

Default Long ride yesterday

Rode the 35th Harmon Hundred yesterday, attempting to do the 75 mile
loop riding the Limbo. I put a Stlevio on the rear, gave up the one on
the front(pinch flat during training, rim is too wide for a 1 1/8" wide
tire). Low 90's with a southwest wind, beautiful if a bit warm.
First, a near 40lb. bike with rear suspension is definitely not made
for riding distances, especially with some hills. I knew this, but was
surprised and aggravated by how much energy this setup draws out of a
rider. Second, I should have put the original cluster back on(32 or 34
tooth max) or a smaller inner ring on the crank. I had installed a 28
tooth max cluster a few weeks ago, and that cost me. Third, the engine
could certainly use more conditioning, and less body weight. I've
dropped 10-12 lbs since mid summer, but still have a ways to go.
Conclusion?

Leg cramps suck, and yes I was drinking plenty.

Goal?

Next year for the century on a lighter, unsuspended 'bent, with a
lighter rider on board!

It was still a personal best this short season, 53 miles.

Other 'bents I came across yesterday included a couple of Bachettas,
Rans tandem, Lightning P38 with rear wind sock, and a couple of Easy
Racers, all of which could easily outclimb me.

Best regards,

John