Old June 11th 04, 06:09 PM
Roger Zoul

Default Planning a very long ride - 8 hrs

Badger_South wrote:
:: I'm toying with the idea of doing a long ride this fall, after a
:: summer of 400 mile/months, and I'm interested in some ideas as to
:: pacing. Here's something I've been thinking about:
::
:: Ride for three hours, then 30 min rest (and take a shower?), eat,
:: then ride for 2 hours, repeat rest, then ride for an hour, repeat
:: rest, then ride final 2 hours. Does that seem like a good scheme?
:: 3-2-1-2?

Why not start doing long rides on the weekends, but increasing them by 10%
every other week or so. You can work on speed during the week, but do your
endurance riding on weekends.

Personally, I don't like the "killer" riding events like you mention since
you're on the road with cars and need to be 100% all of the time, and you
have no base developed. Also, you don't give your butt and muscles time to
adjust with your plan. Chances of injury seem too high to me....

::
:: People who do touring and stuff ride about 8 hours a day for like 2
:: weeks. 'Course they're sightseeing so it's more fun. It would
:: probably require a "support crew" to bring food and change of
:: clothes and stuff. If you were gonna do it how would you break it up?
::
:: I'm thinking the mental aspect would be the most difficult. Gonna
:: try and get the family interested in it to help with that.
::
:: I'm sure some here would say 'just ride for the 8 hours, what's the
:: big deal', but that would be OK for those who have ridden a lot
:: (like frequent 3-4 hour rides), but my longest ride has been 3.5
:: hours, and only did that once. I'm hoping to get some posts on
:: others who have done something like this, and their experiences vs
:: the initial expectations.

Build up slowly...

::
:: I plan to start the ride early in the AM, like 5-ish, or first light.

That's what I do..

:: o 5:30-8:30
:: o 9:00-11:00
:: o 12:-1