Old October 18th 14, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Tail Lights with 180 Degree Visibility that mount to the rackmount like dynamo tail lights?

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:31:20 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
Tail lights with side pointing LEDs used to be pretty common but they

seem to have disappeared.

Now that my new rack has a very good mount for a tail light I was

looking for something similar to the old CatEye TL=LD1100 which had six

rear facing LEDs and four side facing LEDs. Still on they web site at

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD1100/ but apparently

discontinued.

I tried ordering from Amazon and we'll see if the store really has them

since they quoted 14-21 days delivery.

For a very long time the Cateye TL-LD1000 and 1100 were the very best rear lamps you could buy short of a Dinotte. However, they've been overtaken by new technology. The BUMM version most people have is the Line Plus. It emits a horizontal line of light, said to be more visible than a point source. The Philips version, part of the Saferide group, is an oval, i.e. two lines, tested by the police in The Netherlands to be even more effective than the BUMM Linetec. Both are claimed to have 180% or better visibility.

I have the Line Plus and have stopped using the Cateye Cateye TL-LD1100 because it is no longer the best rear lamp.

Andre Jute
Illuminati