Old October 18th 14, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Tail Lights with 180 Degree Visibility that mount to the rack mount like dynamo tail lights?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:42:50 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

In the place of the Cateye TL-LD1100's side-facing LEDs, the Linetec lamps
bend the light by a lens. It has adequate sidethrow. This cheap-looking
piece of plastic is in fact the best reasonably priced rear lamp generally
available today. At or around the same price only the Philips Saferide
is possibly better, and good luck with sourcing one. At a very much higher
price a Dinotte may be superior.

Ok, so the BUM Line Plus tail lights do have some lighting to the
sides. It was difficult to tell from the web pages.

One must suffer before enlightenment. If you've ever used a
departement store bicyle light, you already know suffering.

I'm not big on suffering, as in my profession it involves living in an
unheated garret on a moldy crust of bread and cold water. Instead I've been
an exile for more than two thirds of my life; I trust that will be acceptible
as substitute suffering.

It's a standard plot line that works well from Biblical lore, Greek
fables, Samurai movies, and today's action movies. The hero has a
goal, which is frustrated by an evil and devious villain. In order to
achieve his intended goal, the villain sends the hero on a quest,
during which he must overcome a series of obstacles, suffer various
indignities, but eventually triumph in the end. Upon his return, he
achieves his goal, vanquishes the villain, and settles down to a
normal life, vowing never to do anything that risky and stupid again,
which is true enlightenment.

Your problem seems to be that you have successfully achieved the
required suffering without a clearly defined goal. The result can
only be endless suffering as it's difficult to recognize that you've
arrived at your goal, if you don't have one. While glorified poverty
does have its merits in some circles, it gets old rather quickly. I
did that during my Beatnik and Hippie stages during the 1960's for a
time until I recognized the futility and stupidity of the lifestyle.

Offhand, I would speculate that you have the means and ability to do
better than simulate a prison environment. Whether you have the will
to change or a suitable goal is less certain. I recommend a
conscientious program of self improvement, starting with paying the
heating bill, avoiding day old bread sales, and switching to hot tea
instead of cold.

While I doubt that any of this will improve your selection of bicycle
lighting, I should point out that few riders purchase a $300 bicycle
headlight without first suffering with a much cheaper headlight. As I
said, one must suffer before enlightenment.

Andre Jute
TGIF

The Goal I Fear.

--