Old October 18th 14, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Tail Lights with 180 Degree Visibility that mount to the rackmount like dynamo tail lights?

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 6:01:33 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 10/17/2014 8:59 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:28:15 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:

I have the Line Plus and have stopped using the Cateye Cateye

TL-LD1100 because it is no longer the best rear lamp.

http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-ruecklicht/toplight-line-plus.html

Nice tail light, but I don't see any side lighting in the photos. I

think Stephen and I want something with side lights as in 180 degree

visibility.

Andre Jute

Illuminati

The Bumm rear lights are unacceptable because they lack a flash mode. A

Flashing rear red LED light is the defacto indication to other road

users that there is a bicycle ahead.

See http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec5.html and go to last photo at bottom of page, which demonstrates that the BUMM Line rear lamp leaves Cateye TL-LD1100 for dead. The top lamps is the Cateye, the lower one the BUMM Line.

The TL-LDll00 may be the only battery powered light, with flasher

function, that is explicitly designed for attachment to a rack's

reflector bracket.

I dunno where you get this idea, Scharfie. See first photo at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html which shows that the Cateye TL-LD1100 fits to the rack by cableties. This Cateye does come with fittings for the seat post and a bicycle jacket loop but I've bought several (they self-destruct by losing the cap, containing two side-LEDs, the switching and the connector for the batteries, which makes them worthless unless you can find the cap beside the road) and have never found a rackmount in the box.

In general, Europeans find lamps on their bikes when they buy them, the lamps are firmly bolted on, and nobody takes off the lamps when they park the bikes. You're trying to mix cultures, Scharfie, and it ain't working.

BTW, I used the Cateye TL-LD1100 with the BUMM Line for a while, until someone swapped bikes with me to try mine and at one point in the dusk I was catching up from a mile back, and when I came close enough to see the Line lamp, the flashing Cateye TL-LD1100 wasn't even visible. The Line lamp just killed the Cateye down to a distance where I reckon it would be impossible for your average driver driving only 30kph faster than the bicyclist to react. In short, the Line makes the Cateye superfluous. This applies in the daylight too, if you use the rear lamp as a dalight warning lamp; I do; my lamps are switched on automatically whenever the bike rolls. See second and third photos from bottom of http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec5.html

You won't find a removable dynamo lamp, you won't find a dynamo lamp that flashes. You have to make a choice, feller. The Line (or the Philips Saferide if you can find one, a bolt-on lamp just like the Line) is what you can get in dynamo lamps, the Cateye what you can get in battery lamps, and I know which would choose.

Pity Scharfie won't see this expert analysis by someone who owns several versions of both lamps, and has actually used them together, because he brags that he has killfiled me; I do owe Scharfie something for putting me onto MR11 and MR16 lamps back in the days when I rolled my own because there was nothing useful available commercially at any kind of a reasonable price, and the rest of the little ******s on RBT were worthlessly engaged in scoring points off newbies. Poor Scharfie.

Andre Jute
Not an ingrate!