Old June 4th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default How the maintenance-free bike dispenses with chain-lube racketeers

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 12:23:24 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
Chain lubes are such a racket.

-- Jay Beattie.

You don't need to be a victim of the chain lube racketeers. Chain lubes -- and chain-lubing -- are easily dispensed with. All it takes is some brains and a little money.

To save bandwidth on RBT, see the full instructions for installing a zero-maintenance chain at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6813.0
and a photo of the chain after running service-free for 3500km at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....77889#msg77889
with the final report of the experiment at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....79431#msg79431

Of course, some cyclists measure their manhood by their chain-cleaning exploits: they're the natural victims of the chain lube racketeers, so there's no help for them.

Alas, I have derailleur bikes, which kind of moots the chain-case thing. Also, I can't buy a Rohloff hub because it would add to the US/Germany trade imbalance. That's wrong, and I'm going to fix it, if I can get Congress behind me.

-- Jay Beattie.