View Single Post
Old August 14th 19, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Can not get bike to shift gears properly

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 8:52:00 PM UTC-4, Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Plastic casing caps? Never!

Damned things cause more trouble than they cure.
We like plated brass casing caps.

Agreed. Also, I've almost succeeded in expunging thin "brake" housing ferrules from the shop where I work. They're specified for brakes, because long lay shift cable housing strands can push their way through the thin soft metal. Problem is, Bowden cable coils can also push their way through if the housing stop isn't adequately supportive.

So it's all brass "SIS" type 5mm ferrules and aluminum 4mm ferrules for me.

I ALWAYS pull really hard on the brake lever immediately after installing a new brake cable or brake cable housing. I figure it's better to have something happen whilst the bike is still on the stand than it is when the bike is being ridden. I still remember the instance when I pulled hard on a brake lever to make sure the housing was fully seated and when I pulled hard on the lever the housing pulled right trough the metal ferrule. I installed another metal ferrule and had t he same thing happen. Fortunately I had a couple of other older ferrules I was able to use. I also phoned the shop and told them so that they could check and see if they had got a bad batch of brake cable ferrules. I've also had good luck getting a tight fitting ferule onto a cable housing by removing the ferrule and then heating it up and slipping it onto the housing.

Cheers
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home