Old September 19th 05, 11:35 AM
Tony Raven

Default another charity cyclist dies

Sam Salt wrote:
MartinM wrote:
from the Metro;

"a 37 year old father of one police officer collapsed and died whilst
taking part in a 100 mile bike ride in North Devon. The rider was half
way through the event when he collapsed whilst riding up a steep hill.
The remaining 55 policemen on the ride decided to continue".

and on the same day 4 participants in the Great North Run also died.

whilst there are always lessons to be learned from these events it is
still a great tragedy for all the families concerned.

Yes I was running the Great North Run and there did appear to be rather a
lot of people needing attention at the side of the road.

It was a hot day as well which didn't help.

There is no doubt that you are at greater risk of dying during exercise
than when resting but the exercise improves your life expectancy
overall. Assuming the GNR was a two hour event, that death rate is
about 24 times the background death rate in a normal population of that
size and this was an exceptional year.

There are questions though in my mind about these endurance events for
people who are basically not acclimatised to them. Lots train but lots
skimp on the training too.

--
Tony

Anon