Old October 5th 17, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Best Road Saddles

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 9:08:30 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 11:04:50 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 12:46:42 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
Which saddles do you find most comfortable for long fast road rides?

Brooks leather saddles.

I have switched to the Brooks C.17 on almost all of my bikes. It is
very close to my most comfortable saddle ever, a Brooks Pro that I
bought in 1976 and which was still on one of my bikes until 2016. It is
finally not quite so comfortable any more; leather changes with time.
Like my old Pro, with the C.17 I just don't think about my saddle while
riding. If you have to think about it, it's the wrong saddle. I also
like the lack of worries with rain compared to leather saddles.

But we'll see if I get 40 years out of those C.17s like I did out of my
Pro. Probably not, since in 40 years I'll be 98, but I can hope. How
cool would it be to be able to ride my bike into my 90s! Maybe a century
on my century?

I still have a 1977 Cinelli Unicanitor on my commuter. Great saddle. Leather doesn't like all the wet weather, and I was never a fan -- but saddles are a person choice.

The big deal now is to get your butt measured and to buy a saddle that fits to the micron. Imagine a LBS having to keep all that stock. Any modern version of a Turbo works for me.

-- Jay Beattie.