Old April 18th 18, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On 2018-04-18 12:51, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 12:13:34 PM UTC-7, duane wrote:
On 18/04/2018 1:02 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just received some 25mm Vee Rubber road tires and it says 7bar
100psi max on the side. That's a bit low for my taste.

The Zafiro I have on there now says 100psi min and 130psi max
which is more up my alley.

By how much can a low max rating be exceeded? I like 100-115psi
on my road bike in back. On the front I won't exceed the max
because a blow-out would be nasty and that carries less weight
anyhow.

Are these both the same size tire? 100 psi sounds right for 25mm
tires. 100 - 130 psi sounds like 23mm.

And running the Zaffiro at maximum pressure results in really poor
wet grip, speaking from experience.

Also, why would Joerg want a HP 25mm tire in super-gnarlyville? With
all the ad hoc trail riding and massive loads, he should have a 32mm
tire minimum. And not a Zaffiro, which are flat-prone.

So far so good. The ride on the Zafiro is a bit more bone-rattling than
others but no flats. Part of my usual road bike valley route is gravel
and old Lincoln highway which looks like a concrete runway after a
bombing raid. I've got thick tubes plus liners in there though which
affords me the option to ride just about any tire.

... If his bike
won't accommodate a tire of that size, may that's a reminder that
he's riding the wrong bike.

I might get by with 28mm but only with absolutely zero wobble and that
ain't gonna happen on any of my bikes.

As for the Vee Rubber, I wouldn't run a $10 25mm tire beyond its
maximum recommended pressure. God knows whether the bead wire is any
good or what pressure will blow-off the tire or blow-out the
sidewalls -- or separate the bead wire from the sidewall. The thing
would probably ride like a rock above 100psi anyway.

The Zafiro does ride like a rock. Being used to MTB riding that doesn't
faze me. What puzzles me is it's impressive 130psi max rating (100psi is
min).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/