Old March 8th 05, 01:03 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

BB wrote:
snip

There have been lengthy discussions on this; in short, the finding
was that the width doesn't make that much difference. Seems
counter-intuitive to me, but that's what they say.

Who is they : ) I was expecting at the very least twice the distance
and half the effort for my skinny tires. Hard to figure out if there
is less resistance why the same amount of energy is needed to go equal
distances all things being equal.

You definitely won't gain 100% more speed with skinnier tires. With the
different tires, most likely a 1.95 and 1.5" tires from Walmart, you're
looking at about a 1-3mph speed difference (assuming 10-15mph on an MTB),
and not much more.

If you don't have a cyclometer, this will be very hard to judge, as the
"just dropped some money on new stuff" effect will ALWAYS cloud your
perception.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training