Old January 4th 19, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Build it and ... why aren't they coming?

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 7:01:44 AM UTC-6, wrote:

The main purpose of our bikepaths is to make cycling safer not increasing it.

Lou

I think those two, "safer", and "increase", can go together. They both help the other. If its safer, more separate bike trails, then its highly probable more people, "increase", will bicycle. And usually when something becomes more prevalent and more people are doing it, then it also becomes safer. In the USA when driving first started, back in the early 1900s, it was not very safe due to unsafe cars and bad roads and traffic control. But as more and more people took to driving, both the cars improved from a safety point, and the roads and control of the roads improved. Making driving safer. Increase and safe work together to bring both up.

In Des Moines, Iowa, we have hundreds of miles of paved bike trails through and around the city. During the summer months we have hundreds, thousands of people on bikes on these trails. I am convinced the trails encourage people to ride their bikes. Ride for fun, enjoyment, recreation. Not utility or commuting. Most people drive their car with their bike inside to the trails to ride their bike on the trails. But there are also hardcores like me who ride their bike to the trails and home. No car involved.

I think of trails as very similar to parks. City or state parks. They are for enjoyment purposes. Not functional, business, work purposes. I'm not convinced building trails on busy roads and into downtown commercial areas is the best use of resources and efforts. I think building trails into scenic remote areas is a better use of funds and effort. Be happy you are getting people on bikes and enjoying the exercise. Don't think you can solve commuting and congestion and parking problems with bikes. Be happy with half a loaf of bread, don't think you can get the whole loaf.