Old January 7th 19, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default 90 year old doper caught

On 1/7/2019 3:15 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/7/2019 12:45 PM, wrote:
On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 10:45:54 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 4:17:30 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 6:10:13 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 11:17:08 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Lance's bad influence extends to all ages.

https://sports.yahoo.com/90-year-old...173702680.html

Lets be honest. It wasn't only Lance that was using "medicine" to
improve his ability, it was just about every one of the top riders of
that era. Look at the record of how many were caught and penalized.
Eddy Merckx, for example, tested positive in 1969, 1973 and 1977.
Fausto Coppi stated openly, on a television interview, that he took "
la bomba" - amphetamine. Miguel Induráin was never caught taking
drugs, except for Salbutamol, but former Festina coach Antonie Vayer
hasÂ* cast doubt on Induráin's abilities, claiming only "mutants"
could
have performed at the level he did.
--

Cheers,

John B.

I detest Lance Armstrong - not for his doping or even his denying
it, but for his systematic attacks and attempts to destroy the
credibility or finances of those who accused him of doping. That's
what sets him apart from the other dopers = his vengeful attacks on
those who tried to out him.

Cheers

I find comments like yours puzzling. Hinault and Merckx spent their
entire lives destroying the careers of anyone that challenged them.
By any means necessary. Hinault even went so far as to hire Lemond in
order to pretend Lemond from whipping his butt. That was not to give
Lemond a hand up but rather to keep him as an inferior. Merckx got
people fired even from opposing teams.

Well, the Ride a Lot guy could hate Merckx and Hinault too.
Personally, I hate Hinault.Â* He always denigrated Lemond.Â* While they
were riding and every year after.Â* I think even today he criticizes
Lemond.Â* I don't like Hinault.Â* Never liked Armstrong either.
Although I did go to his Austin Texas bike shop and saw one of his
Tour bikes on display.Â* Love Lemond.Â* Like Fignon too.Â* And Ullrich.
I just like Ullrich.Â* No feelings either way with Indurain.Â* Hate
those little Italian riders.

My personal opinion has no value but I very much respect Jacques
Anquetil as a phenomenal cyclist even though he was a doper, a scumbag
and an actual pervert. Beating everyone else on a race course is a
respectable thing aside from life itself.

And isn't it interesting that so many people want to turn their heroes
into angels? Pete Rose is an interesting example (not that I'm into
either baseball or betting). One of the absolute all-time greats, but
never going to be in the Hall of Fame because he did what millions of
guys do each day. He wasn't an angel, so he's a devil, never to be admitted.

I'd prefer my favorite riders to be good guys. Gino Bartali has my great
admiration. I think Greg LeMond is very admirable. Merckx my not have
been a perfect angel, but I still think he was the best.

But I suppose the problems come when someone flaunts his misbehavior
(think rap "musicians") and thereby influences teenagers and idiots (OK,
some redundancy there) to follow the same path.

--
- Frank Krygowski