Old January 9th 19, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default 90 year old doper caught

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:31:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/8/2019 9:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:
In fact, I raced with Lance Armstrong. Well, O.K., I raced on the same street at a different time as Lance Armstrong -- I was masters and he was Pro/1/2 back in the Montgomery Subaru days. But I still felt like we were close, and I got to know him enough to see that he was sensitive and caring young man.

My best was riding with Lon Haldeman during one of the early Race Across
AMerica (RAAM) sleep deprivation contests. The route went not too far
from a town I was visiting in central Pennsylvania (so it was toward the
end of the race), and I went to considerable trouble to ride to the
route and ride along with him for just a little while.

I remember saying only "You're looking good, Lon!" Which was a blatant
lie. He looked like death warmed over. As I recall, he was riding at
about 12 mph.

The super-endurance guys are a breed apart. Back in the early-mid 80s, I was lined up at the start-finish of a some business-park criterium in San Jose, and I looked over to the guy next to me who looked very familiar and asked if I knew him. He said that I had probably seen him in Bicycling! because he just won the John Marino Open -- one of the marathon qualifiers for the RAAM. I can't remember the guy's name. Any way, he was shot out the back half-way through the race. The guy could ride forever but had no top-end, and grinding along for 24 or 48 hours probably didn't teach him much about battling for position while whirling around a business park.

-- Jay Beattie.