Old January 12th 19, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default What is the point of tubeless tires?

On 1/12/2019 12:11 AM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

Part of the point is "churning." Bikes and bike parts are a super-mature
industry, and bikes and their products last decades. (My favorite bike
is from 1986.) So the industry tries to come up with new ideas every
year, just to entice you to buy _something_.

Going back to the 1970s, it was "Ten speeds!" then "Touring bikes!" then
"Aluminum!" then "Mountain bikes!" ... and on and on, with front
suspension, full suspension, 6 speeds, 7 speeds, 8 & 9 & 10 & 11 speeds,
carbon fiber, electronic shifting etc. It goes on forever.

Currently it's disc brakes, tubeless tires and "gravel bikes." For
almost everyone who rides a bicycle, the improvements (if any) are
almost undetectable. We are deeply into diminishing returns, no matter
what miracles the supposed connoisseurs claim.

Just ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski