Old February 25th 11, 09:24 AM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Clinch

Default So, what happened to Mikey "Handsaw" V?

On 22/02/11 14:58, Moderate wrote:

Where did your find studies of mountain bike impact on the environment? My
observation is that bicycles cause more erosion than foot traffic and the
number of cyclists doing trail maintenance is far less than the number of
hikers doing trail maintenance.

I've not seen formal studies, but in Scotland I've seen plenty of
walking-only trails that have degenerated to meandering quagmires that
blot the landscape and have necessitated remedial action (e.g., the
Schiehallion path and Glen Brittle to Coire Laggan).

I've not been on any trail that has obviously been ruined by wheels.

I see evidence of volunteer trail maintenance from across the board.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK