Old February 17th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike

Default Carlton Reid on QR safety

Tony Raven wrote:

I thought everyone here was was arguing against me that a loose QR was
not detectable by the rider until it got to the point the wheel was
ejected. Now you are trying to argue that a loose QR will be more than
detectable - it will loose you control of the bike. Which is it?

Be careful what you ascribe to "everyone." There can be differences of
opinion on such matters, even among people who agree that brakes should
not be trying to eject the front wheel from the dropouts.

FWIW, I don't know of anyone interested in bicycling safety issues who
feels it's fine to ride a bike with a loose QR, whose axle is held in
place only by the lawyer lips. If you feel such riding is fine, you'll
have very few members on your team.

Having a loose but
retained front wheel is not of itself unsafe.

Again, I think that's a VERY uncommon attitude. Can you find any
safety literature that agrees with you?

I've ridden that way with
disk brakes through my mistake a number of times although unlike many
here I pretty quickly knew something was wrong by the feel of the
steering and the knocking sound from the front wheel as the QR hit the
lawyers lips.

Under what conditions were you riding? It may be one thing to ride on
ordinary pavement under ordinary speeds with a loose QR (although,
again, I doubt you'll find anyone else who says so); but I suspect it's
quite another thing to be barrelling hell-bent-for-leather down a steep
rocky hillside with a loose QR. I don't do such riding, but I suspect
the sounds and sensations would be severely muddied by the general
chaos involved.

And of course, if you _were_ pounding your way down a super-steep,
rocky hill and felt something funny in your front wheel, what would you
do about it? Slam on the front brake even harder so you could stop to
inspect? Good luck!

- Frank Krygowski