Old September 19th 05, 11:01 AM
Maggie

Default If Adults on bikes could be as simple as kids on bikes

Yesterday my husband and I were walking the multi-use path in Brookdale
Park. This is the path where I was knocked over by a cyclist couple
who shouted "ON THE LEFT" because I had no idea which way to move.
Adding to that, he came up behind me on one side and his wife or GF
came up from behind on the other side. Adding to all that confusion, I
of course, moved the wrong way.

Since then, I try to walk on the track instead of the path but the
husband likes the path better. More scenery.

Well yesterday we were walking and talking when we hear a small childs
voice yell in a very loud booming voice from a far distance. "BICYCLE
COMING THROUGH. BICYCLE COMING THROUGH". My husband and I had time to
turn around and both of us moved to let him go between us...and as he
went through he said..."TWO MORE BICYCLES COMING THROUGH"...the next
kid yelled..."ONE MORE BICYCLE COMING THROUGH"....and then when they
all past us...they yelled "THANK YOU". It was the cutest thing. They
must have been about 8 or 9 years old, wearing helmets, and very police
riders.
I guess children know what to shout when riding their bikes more than
the adults in the park who scream...ON YOU LEFT...or ON YOUR
RIGHT....I've watched more confusion happen when cyclists yell that.
If cyclists decide to ride on a path where people are walking, talking,
walking dogs, running, and strolling....I think they should think like
those children. AND JUST YELL IT LIKE IT IS.

Just shout....."BICYCLE COMING THROUGH"...with plenty of time for
walkers, strollers, etc to move. I love kids. They are damn smart.
Maggie.