Old September 19th 05, 03:23 PM
Roger Zoul

Default If Adults on bikes could be as simple as kids on bikes

Maggie wrote:
: Yesterday my husband and I were walking the multi-use path in
: Brookdale Park. This is the path where I was knocked over by a
: cyclist couple who shouted "ON THE LEFT" because I had no idea which
: way to move.

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. When someone says "On your left" they are
essentially telling you that they are on your left and not to move there.
That tells you to watch your movements to the left, not to move. Think
about it...if they are passing you on the left, then they already have a
path over which to travel and they are trying to let you know not to get in
that path...think more about it...they cannot demand that you move...so if
you are actually blocking their path, they need to stop or they will crash
into you. I, for one, would certainly not choose to run into any object on
my bike. But if someone perhaps isn't aware of my rapid approach, I would
want to let them know I'm coming so they can avoid moving into my path.

Adding to that, he came up behind me on one side and
: his wife or GF came up from behind on the other side. Adding to all
: that confusion, I of course, moved the wrong way.
:
: Since then, I try to walk on the track instead of the path but the
: husband likes the path better. More scenery.
:
: Well yesterday we were walking and talking when we hear a small
: childs voice yell in a very loud booming voice from a far distance.
: "BICYCLE COMING THROUGH. BICYCLE COMING THROUGH".

That tells you nothing about the path the kids are taking as they pass
you...

My husband and I
: had time to turn around and both of us moved to let him go between
: us...and as he went through he said..."TWO MORE BICYCLES COMING
: THROUGH"...the next kid yelled..."ONE MORE BICYCLE COMING
: THROUGH"....and then when they all past us...they yelled "THANK
: YOU".

Just be happy that you had time to respond...otherwise, you'd have gotten
hit.

It was the cutest thing. They must have been about 8 or 9
: years old, wearing helmets, and very police riders.
: I guess children know what to shout when riding their bikes more than
: the adults in the park who scream...ON YOU LEFT...or ON YOUR
: RIGHT....I've watched more confusion happen when cyclists yell that.
: If cyclists decide to ride on a path where people are walking,
: talking, walking dogs, running, and strolling....I think they should
: think like those children. AND JUST YELL IT LIKE IT IS.
:
: Just shout....."BICYCLE COMING THROUGH"...with plenty of time for
: walkers, strollers, etc to move. I love kids. They are damn smart.
: Maggie.

You're really not learning much here, Mags. Must be a sign of getting old.