Old September 19th 05, 06:11 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default If Adults on bikes could be as simple as kids on bikes

: Yesterday my husband and I were walking the multi-use path in
: Brookdale Park. This is the path where I was knocked over by a
: cyclist couple who shouted "ON THE LEFT" because I had no idea which
: way to move.

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. When someone says "On your left" they are
essentially telling you that they are on your left and not to move there.
That tells you to watch your movements to the left, not to move. Think
about it...if they are passing you on the left, then they already have a
path over which to travel and they are trying to let you know not to get
in that path...think more about it...they cannot demand that you move...so
if you are actually blocking their path, they need to stop or they will
crash into you. I, for one, would certainly not choose to run into any
object on my bike. But if someone perhaps isn't aware of my rapid
approach, I would want to let them know I'm coming so they can avoid
moving into my path.

I 'm with Maggie on this one. The "on your left" stuff just doesn't work
with a *lot* of people, yet we continue to come up with reasons why it's
appropriate. Sorry, but people get easily confused when something's coming
up from behind them, and in the auto world (which they're used to), you
don't have a similar epithet or appropriate response.

The problem is the "left" part of it. Somehow it implies that *you* (the
rider in front) are supposed to do something... but the reality is that
you're supposed to do absolutely nothing except hold your present line.

When I'm overtaking other cyclists, and note that they're riding in a
predictable fashion, I say nothing. Actually, that's not quite true; if
there's an opportunity to make myself known audibly, as in casual chat with
other cyclists, I do so. Why? Because it's not intimidating, and lets
someone know you're there. And then I just ride past (on the left, of
course) as if everyone's doing the right thing (which they are). Just as
would happen while driving.

On the other hand, saying "On your left" sounds more like a command to get
out of the way, perhaps the bicycle equivalent to flashing your lights at
somebody.

And what if the cyclists you're trying to pass are riding all over the
place? My guess is that it's even more difficult to instill order into such
situations than to simply find a way to give them a wide berth.

: Well yesterday we were walking and talking when we hear a small
: childs voice yell in a very loud booming voice from a far distance.
: "BICYCLE COMING THROUGH. BICYCLE COMING THROUGH".

I like it, but think it's something that works for innocent kids but for
adults would tell people that hey, I'm on a bike, I'm superior, get the heck
out of my way! Which of course is true. If I were putting a lot of time in
riding on multi-use bikepaths, I'd invest in a ding-ding bell very quickly.
It's not rude, and people naturally move to the side.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com