Old August 19th 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 10:28:59 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/18/2019 10:11 PM, AK wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 8:25:40 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 17:35:54 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made of harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

It is simply a clamp bolt and the question is whether it holds the
brake cable tightly when it is tightened, If it does than I shouldn't
worry about it.

As the bolt should be clamping the cable between a flange or washer on
the bolt and the brake arm itself. When it is tightened it shouldn't
move at all.

Your picture looks a bit strange, but maybe it is the perspective. See
https://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.htmlto
from a slightly different angle.
--

Cheers,

John B.

If that clamp bolt gets enlarged much more so my hex wrench slips, it will definitely be a big problem.

Are you positive you're using the correct size hex wrench? Some people
mistakenly grab a U.S. (inch) wrench and use it on metric screws that it
_almost_ fits.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Or the bolt is a softer material that causes the socket opening to enlarge when force is applied to it.

Obviously the guy needs a new bolt and Andrew told him what size that most likely is.

Cheers