Old October 24th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default rear-facing dropouts

On 10/24/2018 1:14 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Tosspot wrote:

Is there a reason, besides the common use of
hub gearboxes, so many Dutch commuters these
days have track ends rather than dropouts?

Stops the rear wheel falling off.

Is this a joke or do you mean if the nuts come
loose the chain will still hold the wheel to
make time for an emergency stop?

Yeah, what *are* the "functional difference[s]"
between track ends and dropouts? I always
considered dropouts better and more modern but
now that I think about it I don't know how or
why I came to that.

Click to enlarge images:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/sisend.html

For single gear (fixed, FW, internal gearbox) you need an
inch of horizontal adjustment so any design except
single-point ends work. For modern index derailleur gearing
there are other subtleties to optimize shift response.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/