Old February 27th 10, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Water Bottle Cage Mount Screws: M4 or M5?

On Feb 26, 7:51*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 02/26/2010 06:22 PM, SMS wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to order some, but can't figure out the nomenclature.

They measure just a hair under 5 mm, but take a 4mm Allen key.

So I guess they're either "m4" or "m5"... but which?

M5.

You need to order screws like that where you are? There's 5 stores near
me that sell those screws, for as little as 3 cents each.

In stainless, I don't have a single source now that the good marine
fastener place closed. *I order from McMaster-Carr and cut to length.
Wish that I had a screw cutter for metric stuff like the one built into
my crimping tool (nicely cuts 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 screws for electrical
work) I end up using a hacksaw and bench grinder

A nut that screws onto a 10-32 screw or a tool that cuts a 10-32
will fit onto or cut an M5x0.8 metric screw, unless you are building
space shuttles with it, and if you are, just buy the right length.

Ben