Old February 27th 10, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tad McClellan

Default Water Bottle Cage Mount Screws: M4 or M5?

Ronko wrote:
In article ,
says...

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to order some, but can't figure out the nomenclature.
They measure just a hair under 5 mm, but take a 4mm Allen key.
So I guess they're either "m4" or "m5"... but which?

Machine threads measure at the OD of the thread. Less
clearance (although nominally 5mm), actual is probably 0.485mm.

DIN 985 spec for an m5x0.8 bolt is a 4mm allen drive. Most
screws will be at that standard.

Specific parts, such as the classic Shimano DOXT of the
early 1980s, may have 6mm (or 5mm) allen drive. DIN 7991 for
5mm is a 3mm allen key but Shimano SPD cleat screws use a
4mm key. These are specials, not DIN standard fasteners.

At any rate, although parts makers may choose a different
size allen drive, a special thread is virtually unknown for
fasteners today.

p.s. If you're a 'regular' at your LBS, 5mm screws are often
free for the asking.

Right. If you're a regular at some of the high-end shops around here,
meaning you've paid full retail for one or two bikes, they may
inclinded to give you a bolt. Otherwise .50 - $1 a piece.

I'll tire-kick at a half-dozen LBSes multiple time each before
I buy a bike (from only one of them, of course), they need to
amortize all of that time.

LBSers have to eat too.

Going to the
local hardware store nets you the same thing at 5 cents each.

Hardware store guys get their calories from the beer, so they don't
have to eat. :-)

(errr, so do many cyclists, I gather)

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"